Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving in Gardena

I hope everyone had a full and relaxing Turkey Day. Unfortunately, I was unable to make it up north to spend the holiday with my family but I was lucky enough to be invited to Junya's home in Gardena. I had an amazing time complete with plenty of food and coziness. I am very thankful for the hospitality.


It feels only right to begin the photo posting with this mountain of tamales. During the first two days I ate no less than and probably much more than 20 tamales. Chicken ones with red salsa. Chicken ones with green salsa. And the best kind, filled with raisins. I'm not sure what the normal mode of tamale consumption is in Mexican culture, but I ate them cold, hot, in the morning, afternoon, night time...in my dreams.


Junya acting a fool after the Thanksgiving festivities.


Junya's brother Masa and I, unstoppable BP champions for the weekend, and possibly for eternity. Our mesmerizing attire might have something to do with it.


Junya's pops has a giant aquarium sustaining a kingdom of beautiful Koi fish, most of them a couple feet long with calligraphic scales. My camera does not do justice to the amazing structure of aquatic gods but believe me when I say I've yet to see more impressive "pets".


Everytime I walked up to the water, these guys would cram up to the corner closest to me and shove their blubbery mouths as high above the surface as possible looking for some grub. Junya said I could touch them but I could not gather the cajones to do so.


Lobo was too fast for the camera. I unknowingly called him Bobo the entire weekend, only to find out at the end that his name was actually Lobo and Bobo means "idiot" in Spanish.

A very memorable weekend. I hope to visit again soon. I will not take no for an answer Junya.

-Jordan

Blog Archive